This article is for you if
- You are investigate issues with small batches of DFE GeoBooks being delivered to schools are infected by the Gamarue.I Worm
- You want to remove the Gamarue.I Worm from devices you have received
- You are struggling with removing the Gamarue.I Worm from devices you have received
Issue / Fault definition
Some of the laptops given out in England to support vulnerable children home-schooling during lockdown contain malware, BBC News has reported.
Teachers shared details on an online forum about suspicious files found on devices sent to a Bradford school.
The malware, which they said appeared to be contacting Russian servers, is believed to have been found on laptops given to a handful of schools.
The Department for Education said it was aware and urgently investigating.
The government has so far sent schools more than 800,000 laptops, as it tries to distribute more than a million devices to disadvantaged pupils who may not have access at home.
“Upon unboxing and preparing them, it was discovered that a number of the laptops were infected with a self-propagating network worm,” one teacher wrote.
Known / associated error messages
- Re-Image / reinstall Windows on any devices you receive
- Virus scan each device as you receive it and remove any threats
- Ensure all devices on site are up to date with security and vulnerability patches
- Install a centrally managed virus platform with remote management and notifications
- Malware found on laptops given out by government – BBC News
- GeoBook 1E Education Laptops – HORRIBLE! – Page 6 (edugeek.net)
- Remote learning DfE laptops: Pupils ‘can’t hear or see lessons’ | Tes
Words of caution
You are reading this guide with the knowledge that anything provided here is given as is, we do not hold any responsibility for damage or loss of property, customers, profits and or loss of data.